View Jobs Available
- Apprentice Lineman – Fredericksburg location
Position: Apprentice Lineman
Reports to: District Operations Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Responsible for the repair, maintenance, and installation of transformers and power lines both above and underground on de-energized high voltage lines. Install meters on energized and de-energized meter bases.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist linemen, as instructed, in the preparation, construction, replacement, and maintenance of electric distribution lines, structures, and equipment.
- Assist in installation, maintenance, and repair of underground cable.
- Assist in installation meter and transformer pads.
- Assist in installation and disconnection of meters.
- Assist in installation and maintaining of security lighting.
- Conduct line patrol activities and report maintenance needs as necessary.
- Assist in digging and tamping pole holes; load, unload, set, and remove poles.
- Operate vehicles and heavy equipment including line trucks, boom trucks, underground trencher, and digger truck, and other associated equipment in a safe and proficient manner.
- Set up and remove barricades, flags, and signs for traffic control and work zone protection in compliance with safety procedures
- Operate and maintain transportation equipment, tools, and working equipment in proper condition, and report deficiencies or repairs needed.
- Assists in ensuring all tools, equipment, and unused materials are returned and replaced on the line truck after the completion of a job or the day’s work.
- Must be able to report to work within 20 minutes of being notified that services are required when performing on-call duties.
- Responsible for compliance with the Cooperative's safety rules, safety policies, and safety procedures.
- In addition to these responsibilities, may be assigned by the District Operations Supervisor or Foreman to perform other duties from time to time.
High school diploma or equivalency is required. Completion of basic pole climbing program is required. Graduation from vocational/technical school in power line studies is preferred. Must possess or be able to obtain CPR and First Aid certification.
One to three years experience in electric utility distribution operations, including distribution system construction and maintenance is required.
Must possess entry level knowledge of RUS and REA line specifications, National Electric Code, and National Electric Safety Code. Must possess knowledge of OSHA Rules and Regulations. Prior experience in basic technical utility knowledge required.
Abilities and Skills:
- Must possess valid Texas driver license with good driving record.
- Must possess a valid Texas CDL license with good driving record, or be able to obtain within 90 days.
- Must be able to communicate in English, both in written and oral forms with the general public and co-workers.
- Must be able to climb poles of all types and perform required jobs while on poles.
- Must possess skills and abilities to perform all required jobs with the installation of materials, apparatus, and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of de-energized electric distribution lines.
- Must be able to operate equipment including bucket trucks, digger trucks, and other related equipment.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds or more, as necessary without external assistance of personnel or mechanical aids.
- Must have sight to be able to see working conditions from a safety standpoint.
- Must be able to effectively utilize a two-way radio to communicate duties and location.
- Must be able to walk distances up to one mile in uneven terrain.
The majority of the work schedule will be performed traveling to and working at various field locations within the service territory each day. The individual must be willing to work in all adverse and inclement weather conditions, including help with service restoration during storms. Overtime may be required at times of heavy workload. The individual must be able to serve on-call duty on a rotation basis.